Passengers with reduced mobility
Is your mobility reduced as a result of a disability (whether motor-based, visual, hearing or mental), your age or an illness? With Saphir, Air France offers you a wide range of services tailored to your needs. These services are available across the whole Air France network when you travel on flights operated by Air France. Simple reservation procedures, ground assistance and escort at airports, baggage carrying service, special onboard support and equipment, priority baggage delivery... From the moment you set off to the moment you arrive, Air France makes your journey smoother!
Find out about all the services offered by Air France and its partners that are designed to make your life easier!
- Age d'Or Services: reserve at least 7days before your flight.
- Ulysse: make contact at least 48 hours before your flight.
The service includes the transportation from or to your home or hotel with
1 or 2 attendants, a domestic animal, baggage support, home door-locking service, transfer to the airport and escort to the check-in counter.
At the airport, you can receive assistance if you want to do some shopping in the public area.
Please note: the Ulysse company has vehicles which are specially equipped for passengers with reduced mobility.
To help you get around the airport easily and to save you time, special signposting has been introduced in some airports.
What´s more, your waiting time will be reduced at check-in and at customs, thanks to queue-jump facilities designed for passengers with reduced mobility.
Your baggage is taken care of at check-in. A special label will be attached to it to enable your assistant to locate it more easily on arrival. If you are arriving on a long-haul flight, your baggage will be given priority delivery.
Several options are available, depending on the airport´s facilities, the size of your wheelchair and the type of aircraft on which you are traveling.
- Option 1: at check-in, your wheelchair is checked in, protected and placed in the hold. You are given a wheelchair belonging to the assistance company until you are seated onboard.
- Option 2: you keep your wheelchair until you reach the boarding gate. It will then be transported in the hold and you will be seated in a wheelchair belonging to the assistance company until you reach the seat assigned to you on the aircraft. Your wheelchair will be delivered to you upon arrival, either at the boarding gate or at the baggage belt, depending upon the airport. A Saphir agent can provide you with details.
- Option 3: You requested that your (folding) wheelchair be brought into the aircraft cabin. It will then be stowed in the baggage compartment*.
* Find out whether you can benefit from this service when you make your reservation.
Beyond the baggage allowance associated with your ticket, you can transport an additional baggage item of 23 kg/50 lbs at no charge, regardless of your travel class. You may also transport 2 personal mobility devices (wheelchair, electric scooter, personal transporter) at no charge.
If you have a mental disability and are traveling unaccompanied or in a wheelchair, Air France offers you priority boarding.
This means you can be seated comfortably onboard before the other passengers arrive, giving you the opportunity to meet the cabin crew.
If you are affected by another kind of disability, you are entitled to benefit from this service. Just ask one of our agents.
To make your trip more comfortable, we give you the opportunity to leave the aircraft after all the other passengers. If you are arriving on a long-haul flight, your baggage and wheelchair (if this has been placed in the hold) receive priority delivery.
In mainland France, the services of assistance companies are available to escort you to your home or hotel. Our Saphir booking agents can give you the contact details of the Ulysse or Age d’Or companies.
- Between Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Paris-Orly West airoports
If you need to make a transfer between the Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Paris-Orly West airports, and your physical disability means you can’t take an Air France transfer coach, you can take advantage of a free taxi transfer. To request this service, please go to the Air France transfer counters.
- At Paris-Charles de Gaulle
If you need to make a transfer at Paris-Charles de Gaulle, and you have asked for assistance as a result of your disability, you will be looked after during your transfer. This assistance is provided by the airport manager and is based on the information you provided when making your reservation with Saphir or your travel agency.